That's One HOT Sister!

Let me just do this before I begin...



Okay, it has been a nutso week...well, since Wednesday, anyway. So, let me begin with a playdate that I was so looking forward to and am praying now that it wasn't a bad decision. Krista's mom and dad went back to Florida on Wednesday. They have been here since before Melody was born and it was time for them to return home which meant Krista, two kids, first time, by herself. So, after Parent's Day Out where Rachel and Chelsea both go, I told Krista to come over and let the older girls play and we could hang out since we haven't had a chance to do that in awhile. So, she did. When I picked Rachel up from Parent's Day Out, she felt a little warm. I didn't really think anything of was kinda warm in her classroom. Anyway, she wasn't acting like herself in the pool with Chelsea...didn't want to be splashed, etc. I kept asking her what was wrong and she said nothing. She got out of the pool and was was VERY hot outside so I decided to feel her again....she felt hotter. Was it because she was outside? DUNNO?! So, I took her temperature under her arm....100.4 which in underarm temperature language computes to 101.4. I look at Krista and my heart sinks. I have been holding Melody. My first immediate reaction is...I INFECTED THIS NEWBORN BABY!!! Or, my child has anyway. So, I start asking Rachel if she is hurting and she keeps telling me no. The kids play a little longer (she's already exposed Chelsea) and we go inside. After a few minutes of playing inside I check her temperature again....98.9...not bad...she doesn't feel hot. Krista felt her and said she didn't think she felt hot. Anyway, the Clarks left. Later on that night...103 comes Motrin. We (Rachel and I) for Chelsea and Melody that night that they don't get sick...especially Baby Melody. Gosh, I will just want to crawl somewhere and die if she gets sick.

Wednesday night...HORRIBLE storms pass through. HORRIBLE!!! Did I say, HORRIBLE??? Well, they were! Power went out and I am at home with a potty training 2 1/2 year old and an infant BY MYSELF!!! Brice is at church. I called him and told him to come home and he said that he can't because the roads and weather is too bad for him to drive. AHHH!!!! What a day!! Long story short, we regained power aat about 3:00 yesterday morning and the storms didn't quit until Mid-afternoon Thursday.

Thursday morning....Rachel wakes up shaking. She is BURNING UP!!! OH, wait...she slept in bed with us all night Wednesday night...the only place she wasn't screaming. Okay, temperature, 105 on Thursday morning. It is only 6:45. Motrin. 30 minutes later...temp down to 104.5. Better...still bad. I called pediatrician's office at 8:04....called back at 8:13...AWESOME!!! She tells me to bring her in at 11:00, alternate Tylenol and Motrin and take her to the ER if she spikes another fever and it won't go down. Okay...I can handle that.

11:00 doctor's office. Let me back up and say that potty training is going well...another post later, maybe. She INSISTED on wearing panties without a diaper or pull-up to the doctor. The doctor's office is about 20 minutes away. I was not crazy about the idea but I am not going to discourage a strong-willed 2 year old who we are trying to potty train to begin with. SO....we did. I was hurrying to get to the doctor's office to get her to go potty. The entire time in the car she kept telling me that she was not going to tee tee in the potty at the doctor's office because "big potties are too hard, Mommy." I knew it was going to be a struggle. It was. When we got there the nurse wanted a urine sample. I took her the potty FIGHTING AND SCREAMING. I wrestled with her for 10 minutes in the bathroom while she screamed at the top of her lungs. Finally, I gave up and she won...she is STRONG WILLED I am telling you. I didn't want to fight that battle at the doctor's public. I just told the nurse that it wasn't happening. So, in the end, she took the little hat thingy out of the big potty, sat it in the floor of our room, and Rachel eventually tee-teed in the hat in the floor after we called it the little potty. Success! End result of doctor's visit....looks great! Her urine...not so much. It has white blood cells present, blood, and protein. Dr. treated her for UTI with Bactrim Rx. She also said something called Roseola is going around where kids will have SUPER high fevers for 3 or 4 days and then break out into a horrible rash and to look out for that too. Fabulous. Oh, Rachel's doctor is like 8 months pregnant and she had to wrestle with her to look at her bottom. Poor doctor...we love her so much!

So, we get ready to leave the doctor's office....POURING DOWN RAIN!!!!! The parking lot is completely flooded and Rachel starts crying....she doesn't want to get wet. What am I supposed to do? Good question. Nothing I can do but trek through the river to the car with both of my children in tow. Lauren, let me just say, was PERFECT the entire time we were gone....never heard a peep out of her. Blessing! Got lunch, went home, medicine, nap. Rachel woke up and her diaper was dry but she was all sweaty from her fever breaking so I let her play in the tub for awhile....a long while, actually. Lauren took a 2 hr nap! Really unusual but again...Blessing!

I text messaged Brice and practically begged him to come home early...he couldn't. He actually got home late because of the traffic.

Bed time. All goes well. Rachel stayed dry all day wearing panties, pooped in the potty like 3 times. We all went to bed. Lauren went down easily.

3:45 AM....SCREAMS from Rachel's room....DADDY!!!!!!! He goes in there, changes her diaper at her request and goes to get her something to drink. She is shivering. He gives her medicine. Leaves. About 5 minutes later, SCREAMS from Rachel's room again...just hysterical crying. He calls me in there...she has thrown up her drink which is drank in about 2 seconds flat. I am not worried about a tummy bug...she drank too fast. No more vomiting for the rest of the night....not a tummy bug. I did take her temperature...106!!!! YIKES!!! I stayed in her room until her fever went down at least to 103.3. She told me and Brice to leave so she could go to sleep. I also called the hospital where I work and talked to a nurse who basically said if she spikes fever again at like the 2 hour mark (after Motrin) to take her to the children's hospital ER or call pediatrician in the morning...since it is almost daytime outside. It's now 4:45 AM.

5:00 AM...cries from Lauren's room. It's time to eat. I fed her. I pumped. Just finished pumping.

It is now...RIGHT NOW....6:11 AM. I am done pumping and I am going back to bed. Not sure what time the girls will wake up. I really need to take Rachel's temperature again but I don't want to wake her.


What will this Friday bring? Goodness, I don't know....



Man you are having a hard time. I hope that things get better and that Miss Rachel feels better soon. Prayers for you!
Dana said…
Awww. Poor baby girl...and you...get some rest so you don't catch it too!

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons From the Boat

Running the Wrong Way