Today's scare

Okay, I realize I am behind..I need to post Rachel's 10 month stuff and I promise I will do it tomorrow or Wednesday but I have to post what happened to us tonight. It was very scary...I am very thankful it wasn't any worse. I still am feeling bad about it.....

Okay, so I had a softball game tonight and was running a little late. I finally got the park with Rachel since Brice is out of town. The game didn't start until 8:15, so I had Rachel out a little later than usual but she was great! Got the softball fields, I got out of the car and pushed the little unlock button on the remote to the car and went to the trunk to get the stroller out for Rachel. Well, I threw the keys in the trunk and got out the stroller, got my cleats on, got my bat and my gloves and closed the trunk. I went to get Rachel out of the car and the door was locked. Once you hit the unlock button on the remote if you do not open the door within 30 seconds the doors automatically relock, BUT it even locked the driver's side door which was not even locked to begin with. I realize this instantly and start to panic. There was a friend of mine standing there and I told her what happened. I am actually still okay at this point. Rachel is doing fine...I am looking at her threw the car window and we are laughing....it's all good for now. Well, we have a guy on our softball team who owns a car lot so Christi (my friend) automatically goes and gets him. He comes with two other guys who are looking for tools and things. Well, Rachel starts screaming bloody murder and I lost it. I started crying with her telling her it is okay. I think what hurt my heart the most is that for once I had no access to my child. I did not have the ability to reach in and get her when she was crying for me....AND IT WAS MY FAULT!!!! I felt terrible. Everyone was telling me not to panic. The guys tried to get a coat hanger and open the door and it didn't work. Finally someone called 911 (my phone was in the car with my purse) and told them that I locked the keys in the car and that there is a 10 month old locked inside. They were at the ball park in less than 5 minutes. There were like 10 fireman (okay, maybe not that many, but it seemed like it...) that got out of the truck and one was working on the driver's side door and one was working on the passenger's side door. They got the passenger door open and unlocked the other doors, Rachel immediately stopped crying and I grabbed her out of the car seat and I started bawling....one of the fireman looked at me and said, "Are you Mom?" I said, "Yes" and he left me alone. He didn't ask me anymore questions, they just left. It was so scary. It definitely could have been worse and I am SO thankful that it wasn't any hotter b/c she was fine. She was safe but I felt HORRIBLE!! HORRIBLE.....still do. I cried again telling Brice about it on the phone. She is safe and sound in her bed and will not remember any of this but I guess I can say that it is the first of MANY mistakes that I will make in the adventure of raising a child. I just did not like the feeling of being helpless and powerless and my child needed me. I didn't like it at all. Praise God for good endings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FRUSTRATED!!!!!

Lessons From the Boat